History

Organized by retired Pastor J. A. Leland on February 1, 1942 with 15 members the Clearlake Seventh-day Adventist Church began  in a rented Methodist Church located at 14521 Pearl Avenue, in Clearlake, CA.  It was accepted into the Northern California Conference sisterhood of churches in the spring of 1944 by a letter of request sent by Cora M. Flynn dated March 12, 1944. 

The Church 1953.-- A. Altic.
The Church 1953.-- A. Altic.

In the fall of 1943 the Landstrom family started a church school in their home. Mrs. Cornelia Landstrom was the teacher and Betty Landstrom was one of the two students in this new school.  As the school grew, 4 ½ acres was purchased on Davis Street and a two-room school was built in 1971.

As the church grew  Head Elder Wesley Landstrom led the church in purchasing property on the corner of Uhl and Oakland Streets, and the present church building was completed with the help of Pacific Union College students who came on Sundays to work, in the spring of 1954.  

On December 15, 1988 a fire destroyed the old church building which at the time was being utilized for Community services. It consisted of a structure of about 650 square feet and was in fair condition prior to the loss. 
 

Church in 1958.
Church in 1958.

“The building which was destroyed was a historic building that was moved from a local Indian tribe years ago. It was built sometime around the 1910 period. It is a wood frame on a continuous concrete perimeter foundation. It has a composition shingle roof, cottage redwood siding, and plywood interior walls. It’s electrical system has been brought up to code in recent years. The interior of the structure had four distinct rooms; the largest of the rooms being 18 x 23 ft.” --Letter dated December 29 1988 by Barney Rinaldi, Adjuster, Harta & Company Insurance Adjusters.

The church shortened its name when Clearlake renamed the city dropping the “Highlands.” In 1993 Pastor John McIntosh lead out in the construction of a new sanctuary which was paid and dedicated on April 20, 1996. The dedicatory sermon was given by Elder Ricardo Graham, the Litany of Dedication by Pastor John McIntosh, Dedicatory Prayer by Pastor George Hilton, mission emphasis and prayer by Pastor Paul Emerson, and Scripture by Pastor Wendell Wilcox. The Lower Lake Community United Methodist Church Choir joined the Clearlake Chorale with Keith Cordis Soloist in musical selections. The church history was read by Arlene Altic and Barbara Dryden.

Dedication Bulletin of April 20, 1996

Clearlake Church 1987
Clearlake Church 1987
Clearlake Church 1992
Clearlake Church 1992

 

 

 

Pastors of the Clearlake Church

 J. A. Leland 

 1942-1949

 Fred Fowler           

     1950

 Claude Hall

1950-1951

 H. M. Blunden

1952-1955

 Frank Steunenberg

1956-1962

 Roger West

1962-1965

 Ralph T. Carter 

1965-1969

 Harold L. Flory

1969-1972

      Marvin Wray-Student Pastor

 Sept. 1972- June 1973

 H. Eugene Miller  

1973-1979

 Bruce Nicola   

    1979

 Steve Chavez

1979-1983

 Paul Emerson

1983-1987

    Rob Kearby, Student Pastor 1985-87

 Ernest Lutz  

1987-1989

 Wendell Wilcox

1989-1992

 John McIntosh

1992-1994

 George Hilton

1994-2003

 Ryan Van Hook

 July 2003-July 2008

 Ted Calkins

 June 2009-Present

      "Alex" Gresford Thomas

2011-13 Extern

 

 

Clearlake Church 2015. -T. Calkins
Clearlake Church 2015. -T. Calkins

 

Church in 2001. -T. Calkins
Church in 2001. -T. Calkins